Time to make: 1 hr 15 mins (Hands-on time: 20 mins, Cooking time: 55 mins), plus 30 mins standing
Total cost: $10.80 / $1.35 per serve
- 1.25kg potatoes (sebago, desiree or red delight), scrubbed, thinly sliced
- cooking oil spray
- 1 large red onion, finely sliced
- 1 tablespoon Thai green curry paste
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, thinly sliced
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh coriander, plus extra, to serve
- 1 1/2 cups coconut-flavoured evaporated skim milk
- 1/2 cup no-added-salt chicken stock
Step 1 Lightly grease a large ovenproof dish. Place potato in a large saucepan of cold lightly salted water. Bring to the boil, then reduce to medium heat and cook for 10 minutes or until potato is slightly tender. Drain and set aside.
Step 2 Spray a small saucepan with oil and place over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook for 3 minutes or until softened. Add paste and cook for 2-3 minutes.
Step 3 Arrange a third of potato slices in the base of the prepared dish. Layer over a third each of the onion, lime leaves and coriander. Repeat the layers, twice more, with remaining potato, onion, lime leaves and coriander.
Step 4 Place milk and stock in a small saucepan over medium heat and cook until heated. Pour over potato and stand for 30 minutes.
Step 5 Meanwhile, preheat oven to 190°C. Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until potato is golden. Top with extra coriander and serve.
To allow the flavours to infuse even more, follow the recipe up to step 4, then refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before baking.
See our story Light and healthy spuds! for more on this humble veg.