Time to make: 25 mins
Total cost: $10.00 / $2.50 per serve
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 500g lean chicken breast fillets, thickly sliced
- 1 red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 cups diced red and green capsicums
- 1/3 cup gluten-free plum sauce
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 canned pineapple slices in natural juice, chopped
- 1 shallot, finely sliced, to serve
Step 1 Cook rice in a large saucepan of boiling water according to packet instructions until tender. Drain rice, return to pan and cover to keep warm.
Step 2 Meanwhile, heat sesame oil in a large, deep frying pan or wok set over high heat. Add chicken and onion in batches, and cook for 4–5 minutes, or until chicken is golden and cooked through. Meanwhile, steam or microwave carrot and capsicums until tender.
Step 3 Add carrot and capsicums to chicken mixture in frying pan with plum sauce, white wine vinegar and pineapple; cook, stirring, for 1 minute, or until heated through.
Step 4 Top sweet and sour chicken with shallots and serve with rice.
To save time, replace the basmati rice in this recipe for 2 x 250g packets of microwavable brown rice or basmati rice.