Spice-crusted chicken slices
Time to make: 30 mins, plus 15 mins chilling
Total cost: $9.80 / $2.45 per serve
- 4 x 100g chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons mixed peppercorns
- 3 tablespoons soft brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon of salt
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 3 shallots, finely chopped
- 1 small red capsicum, diced
- 2 tablespoons mint leaves, to garnish
Step 1 Butterfly chicken breasts (see tip). Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Step 2 Place chilli flakes, cumin seeds, peppercorns, sugar and salt in a food processor; blend until mixture resembles coarse sand.
Step 3 Cut 2 or 3 slits in each chicken breast. Combine lemon juice, sesame oil and soy sauce in a small bowl. Brush chicken with lemon sauce, then top with spice mixture. Place chicken in fridge to chill for 15 minutes.
Step 4 Preheat grill. Place chicken on prepared tray. Top chicken with shallot and capsicum, then grill for 4 to 5 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
Step 5 Cut chicken into thick slices. Garnish chicken with mint leaves and serve with Broccoli, lentil and mushroom salad.
How to butterfly chicken breasts
- Use a sharp knife to slice (lengthways) three-quarters of the way through the centre of each chicken breast.
- Open the chicken breast as if you’re opening a book.
- Cover open chicken breast with a layer of cling film.
- Use a rolling pin to beat and flatten chicken breast until it’s about 1cm thick.