Time to make: 4 hrs 40 mins (Hands-on time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 270 mins)
Total cost: $35.52 / $5.92 per serve
- 4 lamb shanks, trimmed
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 1 small fennel bulb, finely sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 2 tablespoons mild chilli paste
- 200g baby spinach
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained, rinsed
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves
- 12 small slices sourdough, torn
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan
Step 1 Place lamb, vegetables, rosemary, chilli and 8-9 cups water in a large slow-cooker. Cook on high for 4 hours.
Step 2 Remove lamb from cooker and set aside to cool. Add spinach and beans to cooker and cook for 20 minutes or until spinach is wilted and beans are softened.
Step 3 Remove meat from lamb and break into chunks. Return to soup with basil and bread and stir to combine. Season with freshly ground black pepper, sprinkle over cheese and serve.