Poached chicken, pear and walnut salad
Time to make: 25 mins (Hands-on time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 15 mins)
Total cost: $15.60 / $3.90 per serve
- 1 litre gluten-free, reduced-salt chicken stock
- 200g chicken breast fillets
- 250g green beans, trimmed
- 1 large green pear, halved, cored, thinly sliced
- 2 cups baby spinach or rocket
- 1/3 cup toasted walnuts, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
Step 1 Set a medium saucepan over high heat; add chicken stock and bring to the boil. Add chicken and return to the boil, then reduce heat immediately. (Boiling the stock can toughen chicken.) Simmer chicken gently for 12–15 minutes, or until just cooked through. Remove pan from heat. Leave chicken to stand in stock for 5 minutes, then slice or shred fillets and set aside.
Step 2 Boil, steam or microwave green beans for 2 minutes, or until just tender, then immerse in cold water to stop the cooking process. Place beans on paper towel; drain well.
Step 3 Combine cooked green beans with pear, baby spinach (or rocket) and walnuts in a salad bowl. Add reserved chicken to bowl with olive oil and lemon juice. Toss salad lightly and serve.
- You can freeze the leftover chicken broth (from the end of step 1) and use it as a stock for soup or risotto.
- To save time, poach chicken the night before and refrigerate in an airtight container.