Piri-piri tofu kebabs with couscous
Time to make: 30 mins, plus 1 hr marinating
Total cost: $19.40 / $4.85 per serve
- 3 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest, plus 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 350g firm tofu, drained, diced into 1.5cm cubes
- 12 short wooden skewers
- 2 large zucchini, trimmed, cut into rounds
- 200g small button mushrooms
- 1 large red capsicum, seeded, diced into 1.5cm cubes
- 1 large red onion, cut into thin wedges
- olive-oil spray
- 3 cups steamed couscous, to serve
- 1/4 cup low-fat tzatziki, to serve
- 2 cups baby spinach, to serve
- lemon wedges, to serve
Step 1 Combine lemon zest, lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, chilli flakes and turmeric in a shallow glass or ceramic dish. Add tofu cubes to marinade dish and stir to coat. Cover dish and leave to marinate for 1 hour. Soak skewers in cold water for 30 minutes.
Step 2 Drain tofu of excess marinade, reserving marinade. Thread tofu, zucchini, mushrooms, capsicum and onion alternately onto prepared skewers.
Step 3 Preheat a large grill pan, frying pan or barbecue over medium–high heat. Spray skewers with olive oil and grill, turning and brushing kebabs with reserved marinade, for 6–8 minutes, or until vegies are lightly charred and just tender.
Step 4 Serve kebabs with sides of couscous, tzatziki and baby spinach, plus a lemon wedge.