Time to make: 40 mins
Total cost: $9.20 / $2.30 per serve
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, trimmed, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
- 1 cup (220g) basmati rice
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-salt vegetable stock
- 1/2 large head broccoli (about 350g), trimmed, cut into florets
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/4 cup lightly toasted slivered almonds, to garnish
Step 1 Set a large saucepan (that has a lid) over medium heat. Add olive oil; heat. Add onion and celery; cook, stirring, for 5 minutes, or until onion is soft. Add garlic and lemon zest; cook, stirring, for 1 more minute.
Step 2 Add rice; stir to coat. Add wine; simmer until almost evaporated. Add stock with 1 cup water and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low, cover with lid and simmer for 12 minutes. Add broccoli and peas, then cover and simmer for 3 more minutes. Remove from heat, cover and leave to steam for another 2–3 minutes.
Step 3 Add parsley to rice, season with black pepper and fluff with a fork. Garnish with almonds and serve.
To make this pilaf a non-vegetarian meal, add 400g thinly sliced chicken breast with the onion at step 1.