Lemon kedgeree chicken
Time to make: 40 mins
Total cost: $16.72 / $4.18 per serve
- cooking oil spray
- 4 carrots, peeled, chopped
- 1 red capsicum, chopped
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 4 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 400g cooked skinless chicken breasts, shredded
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 4 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Step 1 Heat a heavy-based pot or wok and spray lightly with oil. Fry carrots and capsicum until softened. Add rice and stock and simmer for 10 minutes.
Step 2 Add shredded chicken, peas, lemon zest and juice and simmer for another 10–15 minutes, until rice is cooked.
Step 3 Serve with a dollop of yoghurt on top and a sprinkling of parsley.
If you don’t have any leftover cooked chicken, simply poach skinless chicken breasts in 2 cups of no-added-salt chicken stock for 10–12 minutes, until chicken is cooked through. Drain and shred as required.