Time to make: 45 mins, prep 20 mins, cook 25 mins
Total cost: $13.48 / $3.37 per serve
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 4 Roma tomatoes, deseeded, finely chopped
- 100g smoked ham, chopped
- 2 cups reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 x 400g cans lentils, rinsed
- 150g green beans, trimmed, chopped
- 1 small zucchini, chopped
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- chopped flat-leaf parsley, to serve (optional)
- 4 slices multigrain toast, to serve
Step 1 Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery and carrot. Cook, stirring, for 5 minutes.
Step 2 Add tomatoes, ham, stock and 2 cups water to saucepan. Bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 10 minutes, until vegetables are tender and soup has reduced slightly.
Step 3 Add lentils, beans, zucchini and peas. Simmer for 5 minutes, until beans are tender. Sprinkle with parsley and serve with multigrain toast.
Stock-based recipes, like soup, are often high in sodium. We’ve used reduced-salt stock and lowered the sodium, but you can further lower sodium levels by using homemade stock.