Time to make: 35 mins (Hands-on time: 25 mins, Cooking time: 10 mins)
Total cost: $14.60 / $3.65 per serve
(at time of publication)
- 8 bamboo skewers
- 500g chicken breast fillets, cut into even pieces
- 1 tablespoon reduced-salt soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/4 teaspoon five-spice powder
- pinch of ground white pepper
- 1 tablespoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 3 teaspoons honey
- 200g dried egg noodles
- 2 large Lebanese cucumbers, halved lengthways, seeded, thinly sliced diagonally
- 2 medium carrots, peeled into long ribbons
- 250g punnet cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves
- 1/4 cup lime juice, plus lime wedges, to serve
- 1 tablespoon rice bran oil
- 1 tablespoon chopped unsalted peanuts
Step 1 Soak bamboo skewers in a shallow dish of cold water for 30 minutes; drain.
Step 2 Meanwhile, combine chicken fillets with soy sauce, sesame oil, five-spice, white pepper, ginger and honey in a bowl. Cover bowl and refrigerate for 10 minutes.
Step 3 Cook noodles in a saucepan of boiling water according to packet instructions. Drain noodles and refresh under cold running water, then drain again and transfer to a large salad bowl. Add cucumbers, carrot, tomatoes, mint, coriander, lime juice and rice bran oil to salad bowl; toss to combine.
Step 4 Thread chicken onto skewers. Preheat a grill pan or barbecue hotplate to high. Cook chicken skewers for 1–2 minutes per side, or until cooked through.
Step 5 Scatter skewers with chopped peanuts; serve with lime wedges and egg-noodle salad.
You can freeze uncooked skewers (or marinated chicken) for up to one month.