Fruity chickpea chicken
Time to make: 35 mins (Hands-on time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 25 mins), plus 20 mins marinating
Total cost: $9.00 / $2.25 per serve
- 4 x 100g chicken breasts
- juice and zest of 2 lemons
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1–2 teaspoons chilli flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 x 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed, drained
- 3 tablespoons parsley or coriander
- 1/4 cup sultanas or dates
- 2 tablespoons tahini
Step 1 Preheat oven to 190°C. Butterfly chicken breasts (see tip). Line a baking tray with sheets of baking paper.
Step 2 Whisk half of the lemon juice and half of the zest with oil, chilli and garlic. Pour mixture over chicken and leave to marinate for at least 20 minutes.
Step 3 Meanwhile, place remaining lemon juice and zest, chickpeas, parsley (or coriander), sultanas (or dates), tahini and ¼ cup water in a food processor; blend until mixture just combines.
Step 4 Transfer chicken from marinade to prepared tray. Cover each chicken breast with fruit–chickpea mixture and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until golden brown.
Step 5 Serve chicken with Broccoli, lentil and mushroom salad.
How to butterfly chicken breasts
- Use a sharp knife to slice (lengthways) three-quarters of the way through the centre of each chicken breast.
- Open the chicken breast as if you’re opening a book.
- Cover open chicken breast with a layer of cling film.
- Use a rolling pin to beat and flatten chicken breast until it’s about 1cm thick.