Chocolate raspberry muffins
Serves: 12 (makes 12 muffins)
Time to make: 25 mins (Hands-on time: 10 mins, Cooking time: 15 mins)
Total cost: $8.88 / $0.74 per serve
(at time of publication)
- 1 3/4 cups plain flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple purée
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 tablespoons reduced-fat table spread, melted
- 12 teaspoons raspberry jam
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Line a 12-hole muffin tin with muffin or cupcake cases.
Step 2 Sift flour, baking powder and cocoa into a large bowl. Stir in sugar and chocolate chips, then make a well in the centre.
Step 3 Mix apple purée, eggs and milk together then add melted spread. Mix until well combined.
Step 4 Add milk mixture to the well in the dry ingredients and fold together until just combined — do not over-mix.
Step 5 Use a tablespoon to half-fill muffin cases with mixture. Spoon 1 teaspoon jam into the centre of each muffin. Top each muffin with remaining mixture.
Step 6 Bake for 12–15 minutes, or until skewer inserted into muffins comes out clean.
- Use apple purée instead of butter to reduce fat, saturated fat and kilojoules
- Use skim milk instead of full cream to reduce fat, saturated fat and kilojoules
Our version (per muffin)
Total fat 3.7g
Sat fat 1.2g
Original version (per muffin)
Total fat 10.6g
Sat fat 6.5g
These muffins can be made without the raspberry jam. You can try replacing the jam with a small piece of your favourite dark or milk chocolate, or a macadamia nut.