Chicken pot pies
Time to make: 30 mins
Total cost: $11.20 / $2.80 per serve
- 500g chicken breast fillets, cut into 2.5cm pieces
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 cup reduced-salt chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons light cooking cream
- 1 sheet frozen reduced-fat puff pastry, just thawed
- 500g frozen mixed vegetables, partially thawed
Step 1 Preheat oven to 200°C. Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
Step 2 Add chicken to pan and cook until browned. Add flour; cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Add stock, stir well and bring to the boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring, for 2–3 minutes, or until sauce thickens. Add cream and vegies; stir to combine.
Step 3 Divide chicken mixture among 4 x 1 1/4-cup capacity pie dishes and place on a large baking tray. Cut 4 x 12cm rounds from pastry. Top each dish with a pastry round, pinching or pressing edges to seal; bake for 15–20 minutes, or until pie lids are crisp and golden.
To boost flavour, stir 1–2 teaspoons Dijon mustard in with the cream at end of step 2.
Freeze the chicken filling to cook a fast meal on busy nights.