Time to make: 25 mins
Total cost: $12.40 / $3.10 per serve
(at time of publication)
- 150g rice stick noodles
- 2 tablespoons reduced-salt, gluten-free tamari
- 1 tablespoon lime juice, plus lime wedges, to serve
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons peanut oil
- 400g chicken breast fillets, thinly sliced
- 1 medium brown onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 long red chilli, seeded, cut into thin strips
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red capsicum, seeded, thinly sliced
- 200g green beans, trimmed, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups bean sprouts, trimmed
- 1 1/2 tablespoons coarsely chopped unsalted peanuts, to garnish
- lime wedges, to serve
Step 1 Place noodles in a heatproof bowl, cover with boiling water and leave to stand for 5 minutes; drain and set aside. Combine tamari, lime juice and sugar in a small bowl; set aside.
Step 2 Heat half the peanut oil in a wok over high heat. Add chicken in 2 batches; cook for 2–3 minutes, or until golden brown. Remove chicken from wok and set aside.
Step 3 Sauté onion, carrot, chilli and garlic in remaining peanut oil for 2 minutes. Add capsicum and green beans; stir-fry for 1 minute. Add reserved noodles and tamari sauce; toss lightly for 2 minutes, or until noodles are coated in sauce and heated through.
Step 4 Return reserved chicken to wok with bean sprouts; cook for 1 minute to heat through.
Step 5 Scatter chicken pad thai with peanuts and serve with a lime wedge.
Make it vegetarian: Use eggs or firm tofu instead of chicken.