Time to make: 25 mins
Total cost: $19.76 / $4.94 per serve
- cooking oil spray
- 500g chicken breast fillets, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1/3 cup Curry paste
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 400g can no-added-salt chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 400g can no-added-salt chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 3 cups steamed basmati rice, to serve
- 4 tablespoons low-fat natural yoghurt, to serve
Step 1 Spray a large, heavy-based pot with oil and place over high heat. Add chicken and cook, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Transfer chicken into a bowl and set aside.
Step2 In the same pot, add curry paste, garam masala and curry powder. Stir to combine. Cook for a minute, then add tomatoes and lemon juice. Cook for 10 minutes over medium-high heat, or until curry has slightly darkened in colour.
Step 3 Return chicken to pot, along with chickpeas. Cook for 3–4 more minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Stir through baby spinach to wilt.
Step 4 Serve curry with steamed basmati rice and a tablespoon of yoghurt.
When first putting chicken in the hot pan, don’t stir or turn it too regularly as the chicken will sweat and this will prevent browning.